Lately, there’s a variety of waffle on the web about turning into location unbiased.
I’ve seen numerous advertisements pop up on my social media feeds that includes a man enjoyable by a pool along with his laptop computer, with guarantees of constructing your desires come true. It’s only whenever you click on on the hyperlink do you discover that it’s for a dodgy MLM scheme or a course that guarantees that can assist you ‘change into a digital nomad’ however supplies no actionable steps.
This isn’t a type of posts.
A number of years in the past, I had reached the top of the rope with my desk job.
I used to be sick of working eight hours a day (minimal), 5 days every week, solely to earn money that I didn’t have time to spend.
I used to be in my twenties, and but it felt like I’d reached a useless finish already. I used to be working all day in a job that made me depressing, to make sufficient cash to reside how I needed, however then I by no means had sufficient time to spend my cash doing the issues I cherished.
I craved the liberty to set my very own working hours, discover my very own shoppers, and to have the ability to up my revenue far faster than the typical three – 5% annual increase that the majority workplace staff get for his or her arduous work.
So, I made a decision to make a change, and I set about constructing my very own freelance writing enterprise.
Oh, and I made a decision to fly the world over to Thailand and begin touring shortly after – there’s no higher motivation to succeed than transferring to a brand new nation and leaving your comfortable workplace job and secure wage behind!
Over the following few months, I labored – arduous. I constructed the foundations of my freelance writing enterprise after which continued to develop that enterprise into an actual, thriving profession whereas I traveled the world.
- Learn: 11 methods how touring will improve your profession and life
Now, I’m completely location unbiased and get to do a job that brings me a lot pleasure.
That first 12 months contained a variety of stress, lengthy days and little sleep, but it surely was value it for the liberty I’ve created for myself.
The very best half? I can say, undoubtedly, that anybody can construct a contract writing enterprise – and you don’t want to purchase a digital nomad course to get there. If I did may do it, anybody can.
Beneath, I’ve listed a few of the important steps it is best to take to arrange a contract writing enterprise whereas touring the world (and keep away from a few of the stress of figuring it out all by yourself).
Able to journey and construct your freelancing enterprise? Right here is how:
1) Lay The Foundations Earlier than You Go away
Whereas I did handle to construct a contract enterprise whereas touring efficiently, the duty would have been a lot tougher had I not ready the foundations of my writing enterprise earlier than I left my full-time job.
In case you have not but leaped into the digital nomad life-style (i.e., you continue to have a secure revenue and live in a single place), my most important piece of recommendation can be: lay the foundations of your online business earlier than you’re taking any dangers.
Personally, I waited till I had a number of long-term shoppers secured, and was making no less than 50% of my revenue from my workplace job earlier than I made a decision handy in my discover and begin touring.
2) Construct an On-line Presence: Write, Join, and Interact
A digital nomad is simply somebody who works completely on-line (and thus has full location independence).
To construct a web-based enterprise, there’s one easy factor it’s essential do first. Any guesses?
You’ve obtained to get on-line!
This will sound apparent for some and a variety of you could chuckle, however for me, establishing social media accounts and really utilizing them was an alien idea.
I used to be all the time a lurker on-line. Now, I make time each single day to share my weblog posts, join with different freelancers, bloggers, and companies, and get entangled in my on-line group.
Constructing a web-based presence is crucial if you wish to run a contract enterprise efficiently, and much more so if you’ll be counting on on-line interplay to attach with others as a digital nomad.
- Improve your publicity to potential shoppers
- Be an excellent showcase of your persona and expertise for shoppers trying out your companies as a freelancer
- Assist you to join with main freelancers in your area of interest (and perhaps even result in referrals from them!)
- Determine you as an professional in your area too
Learn: How one can Construct a Private Model (and Why You Want One)
three) Create a Portfolio
Whether or not you’re constructing a contract writing enterprise from your house, or on the transfer, one factor stays the identical: you want a wonderful portfolio to ensure you proceed to land high quality shoppers.
By high quality shoppers, I imply corporations which might be keen to pay to your value. There are far too many low-quality jobs on-line lately, and sadly, there are lots of people that underestimate their value and take low-paying jobs with out seeing every other possibility.
Your portfolio will:
- Showcase your highest high quality writing samples
- Present what types you’re most skilled at writing in (long-form articles, witty social media posts, net copy and so forth)
- Spotlight particular manufacturers/industries you might have labored in and might supply helpful expertise to future employers
One of many largest errors I see many new freelance writers making is to both pitch for jobs with out having a portfolio, or to pitch for a job and ship one hyperlink!
So, learn how to construct these samples for a brilliant robust portfolio?
There are a number of artistic methods you possibly can construct your portfolio with out having to land a job first. Among the handiest strategies I used to construct a stable portfolio that helped me land my very first paid writing job embody:
- Running a blog: Begin a weblog right now, and begin writing about any subject that actually pursuits you. It may very well be something from entrepreneurship, to pets. The secret is to showcase your writing fashion and persona. Discover ways to make a weblog on WordPress platform inside 10 minutes.
- Visitor posting: There are various websites on-line that may let you submit a visitor submit to share with their readers. Some are tougher to be accepted on to (thanks once more, Harsh!), whereas others don’t essentially require you to be a longtime blogger in your personal proper earlier than they let you write for them. Visitor posting is an effective way to construct a high quality inventory of writing samples on already established and revered web sites.
- Write for family and friends: This was one of many first steps I took to construct my freelance enterprise whereas I used to be touring. I contacted family and friends with their very own companies, and requested if I may write them some new net content material, a weblog submit, or the rest I assumed I may assist with. At first, I did this work without spending a dime so as to add samples to my writing portfolio – however over time, I had sufficient expertise behind me that I may fairly cost for my companies too.
four) Know The place You’re Going
I believe many individuals have the romantic concept of touring with their enterprise to essentially the most unique, distant locations on earth.
Nonetheless, the fact is that engaged on the street comes with just a few huge obstacles: one among which is discovering a safe WiFi connection so you possibly can really work.
This is without doubt one of the largest variations you’ll undoubtedly want to remember between constructing a contract enterprise from dwelling, and constructing yours when you’re on the street.
I like to recommend all the time researching the place you’re going earlier than you select a brand new vacation spot. It does take the spontaneity out of your journey slightly, however it’s so value it for realizing you’ll be capable of meet your deadlines and work comfortably.
Belief me, nobody enjoys engaged on the street whenever you’re desperately attempting to ship off an article utilizing your telephone’s hotspot and sitting out in the course of a paddy area at evening surrounded by cows (yup, that actually occurred to me!).
5) Make Digital Instruments Your Finest Buddy
One other inevitable impediment you’ll face when constructing your freelance writing enterprise whereas touring the world is having to speak with shoppers and meet deadlines in utterly totally different time zones.
When you’re not cautious, you could end up up at three am frantically sending emails – or worse, by chance lacking a deadline altogether.
One of the best ways to beat that is to begin utilizing digital instruments which is able to make your life immensely simpler.
I exploit digital instruments to handle my initiatives, talk with shoppers, host digital conferences, and schedule social media posts each for my blogs and for my shoppers robotically.
A number of of my favourite digital instruments embody:
- Hootsuite or Buffer for social media automation
- Trello for managing initiatives
- Slack for fast messaging with shoppers/distant groups
- Google Hangouts or Zoom.us for digital conferences
It is a visitor submit by Yaz Purnell from Untraditional workplace. If you need to write down a visitor submit for ShoutMeLoud, test our submission pointers.